Archive for the ‘News’ Category

After nearly 14 years, Chia has finally lifted the ban on foreign games consoles, therefore opening the market for Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft to both manufacture and sell games consoles within Shanghai’s “free trade zone”.

But in order for them to do so, they must first seek approval from the government.

 

Back in March 2013, Nintendo was found guilty of patent infringement and was ordered to pay millions of dollars in damages. Now, in addition to this, they must also pay royalties to the owner of the patent, Tomita Technologies.

According to a report on Law360, Nintendo must pay 1.82 percent of the price of each 3DS sold to Tomita. Originally, it was intended that they would pay a flat rate of $4.45 for each unit sold, but this would have resulted in larger profits for Tomita should the price of 3DS drop over time: “If, as Tomita suggests, the ongoing royalty rate were expressed as a flat dollar amount per unit sold, Tomita would capture an increasingly large proportion of each sale as the price falls, even as the technology’s reliance on the infringed patent remains constant,” Judge Rakoff wrote in his decision. “This would result in an unearned windfall for Tomita, and, accordingly, the court prefers an ongoing royalty rate expressed as a percentage of wholesale price.

Hat tip to NeoGAF for the report.

 

 

Xbox One Halo Game Will Release In 2014

Posted: January 7, 2014 in News

The next generation Halo game will release this year, according to a Twitter post by Microsoft’s Rob Semsey. He said that fans can “Rest assured your journey WILL begin in 2014”.

This tweet comes in response to a listing on Xbox Wire of 2014 Xbox One Games. The list includes:

  • Watch Dogs
  • Titanfall
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Project Spark
  • The  Division

Plus, many others. Apparently, the reason that Halo is not on this list is because the official name for the game has not been decided as of yet.

The next generation Halo game was first teased at E3 back in 2013.

The game will apparently run at 60 frames per second and have dedicated servers for multiplayer.

As reported here yesterday, A recent Hitman game that was in development for next generation consoles was cancelled at Square Enix Montreal last year. Bad news for all Hitman fans out there. But today there is news that will excite said fans. There is still a AAA next generation Hitman title in development, and it is being developed by the original makers of the Hitman games, IO Interactive.

Speaking to Polygon, a representative for Quare Enix said: “Io-Interactive is developing a new, AAA Hitman game that will be coming to PC and next-gen consoles and Square Enix Montreal is fully focused on mobile development of games some of which are related to the Hitman franchise. We look forward to sharing more details about these titles later this year.

Great news for fans of Hitman, including me. More on this as it develops.

New ‘Daylight’ Trailer Released

Posted: January 6, 2014 in News

Zombie Studios has released a new trailer for its upcoming PS4 and PC title ‘Daylight’. Powered by Unreal Engine 4, Daylight is a first person horror game (that genre really hasn’t lived up to expectations in my opinion) that tasks the player with escaping a haunted hospital with only her cell phone as a light source and no weapons. It looks great and I’m excited, but lets wait and see before making any judgements.

The game features procedurally generated levels so that no two environments will ever be the same. The game is scheduled for release in Q1 2014.

Phil Spencer, the corporate vice president of Microsoft Studios has said that Sony have “done a nice job with PS4“.

He said: “When I think about their announcement, their clear focus on a customer, leading with the value proposition of what they’re trying to do, staying true to a vision, I think they’ve done a nice job in how they defined the PS4.

He also praised Sony’s long term commitment to new IP: “I really respect their focus on investing in new things and creative things, what they’ve done with David Cage and Quantic Dream around Beyond [Two Souls] and Heavy Rain; they stay committed to franchises even if they don’t sell 10 million units, they’ll stay committed to things. I think that long-term commitment to franchises is important, where it’s easy to pull off the Band-Aid and move onto the next thing [if it doesn’t sell]. I respect their ‘stick-to-it-iveness’.

Spencer also had kind words for Nintendo and their suite of first party titles: “Nintendo, I think – and there’s some argument about this – that their first-party is such an amazing asset,” he said. “Their first party studios and IP can lead what they do as a company and the platforms are almost in service to the IP – not in a bad way.

Who says we all can’t get along? There’s nothing wrong with healthy competition and if nothing else, it serves to benefit us as consumers.

New ‘Hitman’ Game May Be Cancelled

Posted: January 6, 2014 in News

As reported by Videogamer, the CV of a former employee suggests that the next generation Hitman game that was in development at Square Enix Montreal has been cancelled.  According to the CV of the senior game designer, Richard Knight, the game was cancelled last year, and a new iOS and Android game is reportedly in development instead.

There was also another Hitman game in development at IO Interactive, the original developer behind the Hitman franchise, but no new information has been provided on this since the original announcement so not much is known about this.

The last concept art of Square Enix Montreal’s Hitman project was seen in late 2012:

To me, this looks far too similar to Absolution, so for the sake of the franchise and its fans, maybe its a good thing that this has been shelved.

Capcom (by way of DualShockers) have release 3 new screenshots for PS4 exclusive Deep Down.

The screenshots (seen below) show some new enemy types.

The Jackie: This enemy mimics the shape of a treasure chest in dungeons. When it has detected someone is nearby, it extends it’s arms and legs and tries to bite the player with its enormous teeth. Apparently, there is no way to dodge it’s attack so having the right armour, and being very careful when opening chests is crucial.

The Pooriiz: This enemy attaches itself to the ceilings of dungeons. It moves and rotates its rounded body and attacks in swarms. Attacking them one by one is advised as they are very dangerous in groups.

Deep Down is currently only scheduled for a Japanese release but a western release seems likely.

It was previously announced that Sony would be closing down a number of servers for their older PS3 games. We now have firm dates for this.

The servers for MAG, SOCOM Special Forces, and SOCOM Confrontation will be closing on the 28th of January rendering all online features unusable.

And on March 28th, all online capabilities for Resistance: Fall Of Man, Resistance 2, and Resistance 3 will be disabled.

Then finally, on May 20th, The online features for Gran Turismo 5 will no longer be accessible.

Sad days for anyone who still likes to fire up these games and play online. The silver lining is that these games will, of course, still be playable offline apart from online-only titles such as MAG and SOCOM: Confrontation.

No explanation has been given by Sony as to why these servers are being shut down but age and number of users is bound to be a factor.

 

Burnout Studio Co-Founders Leave Studio

Posted: January 3, 2014 in News

 

Alex Ward and Fiona Sperry, the co-founders of the Burnout studio, Criterion Games, have left the studio. Criterion is a subsidiary of EA and a spokesperson for EA made the following statement to Polygon about their departure:

Alex Ward and Fiona Sperry have decided to leave EA. We appreciate their many contributions through the years and wish them well in their future endeavours.

The incredibly creative and talented team at Criterion are hard at work on a new project for next-gen consoles as new IP continues to be a major priority across EA. Matt Webster is leading development of the new game and the Criterion studio moving forward. Matt has been part of Criterion for years and has an exciting vision for this new game.

Ward stated seperately on Twitter that he and Sperry have decided “to start afresh and form a new games company“.